The North Simcoe Family Health Team’s Respiratory Health Program originated in 2007 and focuses on Asthma, Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease (COPD) and Smoking Cessation. This program is provided by a Nurse Practitioner, Certified Respiratory Nurse Educator, Registered Practical Nurse and a Registered Social worker. Spirometry testing is now being offered within the Respiratory Program. Patients must be 6 years or older to be referred for Spirometry testing and ongoing management.
The goal of the program is to advance the respiratory health and overall knowledge of the North Simcoe Family Health Team patient population, focusing on enhancing patient self- management and quality of life.
This program is available to all family Physicians or Nurse Practitioners within the North Simcoe Family Health Team. Our Respiratory Nurse Educator can provide a variety of care options, dependent on the request of your primary care clinician.
The Certified Respiratory Nurse Educator will meet with you to review your Respiratory condition (ie: Asthma, COPD – emphysema or chronic bronchitis), and can connect you to our smoking cessation program.
The Respiratory Program will assist you to:
- Increase your quality of life while decreasing respiratory symptoms.
- Understand you lung condition and identify potential triggers that may be negatively affecting your breathing and overall lung health.
- Understand how to manage breathlessness, chronic cough, allergies, sinus congestion, fatigue etc.
- Understand how your inhaled medications “puffers”, work and how to use them correctly.
- Develop an ACTION PLAN for symptom management with assistance from the Lung Health Team.
Spirometry testing may be necessary to measure how much air you can blow out of your lungs. This test can be used to diagnose respiratory conditions, assess ongoing lung health, and determine if your medication regimen is effective and appropriate for you. If you have been referred for Spirometry Testing please review the “Patient Instructions for Spirometry Testing” form – please see link below.