Children’s Mental Health Program
Who we are
The Family Health Team Physician or Primary Care Provider works in collaboration with a Registered Social Worker to provide access to child and youth mental health services and increase early detection and intervention of child & youth mental health problems. Mental health related problems include: depression and anxiety, relationship problems, parenting issues, grief and loss (divorce and separation), substance use and abuse, school or work related issues (attention deficit disorder).
A comprehensive assessment directs treatment options including:
- Brief individual and/or family therapy
- Participation in group work as available.
- Adolescent Mood Management Group
- Worried Child Group (also offered individually)
- Girls Talk
Collaboration with community partners including, schools, children’s mental health agency or children’s aid society. Or referral to specialized services for further assessment
- Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder: www.caddra.ca (Canadian ADHD Resource Alliance)
- Parent Education: www.TripleP.net (Parenting now comes with an instruction manual)
- www.moodgym (Learn cognitive behavioral therapy skills for preventing and coping with depression)
- Helping Your Teen Overcome Depression by Miriam Kaufman
- The Out of Sync Child by Carol Kranowitz
- Anxiety Disorders in Children and Adolescents by John Marsh